Goals keep us motivated. But sometimes, people find it too hard to achieve their goals. Maybe because they have set long-term goals before setting short-term ones, or they did not plan their goals carefully.
Goal-setting strategies are important especially for those who want to achieve long-term goals. Here are five goal-setting techniques to help you realize them.
1. Start with short-term goals that will lead you to long-term ones. Sometimes, people start with short-term goals unconsciously. Why unconsciously? Some of them may have considered the goals to be long-term at the time they planned them; and after achieving a goal, they realize that they are in fact, looking forward to a longer one. Some are contented with their short-term goals, but after a while will realize that they also need to attain long-term ones. Short-term goals seem to be our set off for longer ones. They will motivate the person to plan for longer goals, which will usually take some time before achieving them in full.
2. Make sure you really want the goal. By this, you have to ask yourself: “Do I really want this goal? Will this goal give me a better life?” Answering these questions will give you more passion to achieve your goal. Some people recall their past to find out why and how they came up with such goal.
3. Speak up. By this, it means you shouldn’t keep your goals to yourself only. Sharing your goals could help you get the support you may need from others. Some people are too shy to tell others about their goals for reasons like they are afraid they cannot achieve these in the end, or they lack the courage to speak up their minds. This is not a good habit because when the time comes that you really need their support, you will have a difficult time to get such support. You will then have to achieve your goals all by yourself. Also, sharing the fruits of your goals is uplifting to the mind and spirit.
4. Write down your goals. This strategy is more advisable for those who have a long list of goals. After writing them, it is advisable to review them because this will encourage you to achieve them.
5. Stay on track and don’t give up. Reviewing notes will help open your mind to see if you are on the right track. While on track, you may have to face challenges that might change your personality. A person who is overconfident might suddenly feel depressed after finding out that he is going the wrong way in achieving his goal. Thus this might lead to abandoning the goal. Never be discouraged. Facing obstacles is a test on how passionate one is to realize his goal.